Work Muse news!
We are nearly as gaga over the Netflix series GLOW as we are to be partners with 1 Million For Work Flexibility, the first national initiative to bring people together and create a collective voice in support of work flexibility.
Check out the incredible company we keep –– over 125 businesses and organizations dedicated to your flexibility!
What is work flexibility?
When organizations offer employees some control over their schedules to decide what, where, and when work gets done, including:
- Flexible scheduling – the control to shift hours based on work-life responsibilities
- Alternative scheduling – outside of 9-5 hours
- Freelance/contract work
- Phased retirement
- Compressed workweek – working a full-time schedule in fewer than 5 days
- Job sharing – A partnership between two people to share the responsibilities of a full-time position.
Why it matters
We need flexible work more than ever – we’re a nation of less productive workaholics.
- 94% of U.S. professionals work 50+ hours every week actually decreasing our productivity.
Are we just more neurotic? Not necessarily, increases in globalization and communication technology have resulted in 24/7 work demands leaving us stressed and burnt out.
- 63% of us experience high stress at work and
- Over half feel overworked and overwhelmed, which leads to direct consequences in workplace safety, performance, and retention.
We are putting in digital overtime like never before and it’s taking a toll big-time according to the American Psychological Association’s study:
- 28% of us always feel overwhelmed by technology
- Over half of us check work email on weekends and sick days, while nearly half check on vacation.
- And millennials, who’ll make up three-quarters of the workforce by 2025, feel the effects of communication technology 3X their boomer counterparts.
Companies have increased wellness programs to combat this, but they need company-wide, transparent flexible work practices available to all.
Because stress and burnout are 57% lower when employees have flexibility, so much so that Deloitte saved $41.5 million in turnover-related costs due to flexible work practices.
It’s clear that the world of work is rapidly changing; Millennials through Boomers want flexible work. They want to work for employers that value output versus how work is done.
In 2015, I left my corporate job after nearly a decade job sharing to start Work Muse, the sole U.S. company dedicated to the spread of job sharing. My mission: to spread job sharing –– one of the least known flexible work practices –– to allow employees to separate and prioritize work and life, giving employers the 24/7 work needed, while employees rest, recharge, and return to work engaged.
I’ve long been a fan of Sara Sutton Fell’s, CEO of FlexJobs and Founder of 1 Million for Work Flexibility. In fact, my advisory board member and dear friend Stacy Hooper got her job through FlexJobs! It’s no surprise that this Changemaker is behind the flexible work movement, joining voices to change workplace culture by engaging the individuals who want and need work flexibility.
- Inspire – 1 million people to join us in creating a voice that can be really heard.
- Educate – Share important information on news and trends related to work flexibility through newsletters, webinars, blog, and social media.
- Lead – Highlight real-life ways to help people achieve more work flexibility.
- Mobilize – Make it easier to get involved in local and national events, legislation, petitions, and other efforts supporting the advancement of flexible work options.
- Support – Work with leading experts and organizations in both the public and private sectors to help move forward complementary initiatives.
join to show your support!
- Join 1MFWF! Sign up and tell us what flexible work means to you.
- Follow 1 Million for Work Flexibility on Twitter, Facebook, or join their Linked In group
- Spread the word! Share with your friends here. Use #1MFWF wherever you hashtag.
- Swag it up to be part of the flex movement without saying a word.
Thank you for joining the #1MFWF coalition & the #JobshareRevolution!
Melissa Nicholson is the Founder & CEO of Work Muse, a job share solutions firm. Job sharing is a partnership between two people to share the responsibilities of one full-time position. Work Muse drives adoption of job sharing in business as a source of competitive advantage while helping individuals find work-life balance. Join the #JobshareRevolution here –– events, resources, and relevant content to empower you in work and life! For more info, email@example.com.